Friday, March 25, 2011

Rebuilt chassis - successful modification

As I was testing out the chassis, I realized that the way the instructions told me to build it, the wheels would not be independent from each other.  There's a third hex axel that runs through the whole assembly (see the red arrow), and the gear boxes are bolted in place to both ends.  So I had two choices: a) rebuild the chassis using the low speed option (4 times slower than the normal mode), or b) attempt to cut this axel in half.  The pieces couldn't possibly fall out, and with the hex bolts in place on both sides, they should still function like normal... they just won't affect the other side.  I opted to cut the axel in half... and it worked!  Now both wheels are independent from each other.

Hooray engineering!!!

1 comment: