Sunday, March 27, 2011

Proof of concept - body design

Now that I have the majority of the droid parts, I wanted to make sure it would all go together as I imagined it in my head.  The only thing I was lacking was a front wheel caster.  I searched the web and couldn't find anything small enough (at least, not one in my price range), so I made one out of a metal coat hanger.  The rest of the body frame is made out of balsa wood because I needed it to be as light as possible, yet have good potential for sturdiness (I used to make balsa wood structures that held hundreds of pounds of weight for Odyssey of the Mind in middle school).

Now I know what proportions to fix for the final design and what else I need to make room for.  In this build, the gearbox is on the bottom level, my arduino and motor shield are on the 2nd level, the motor shield power box is on the 3rd level, and the arduino power in taped on top.  I still need to make room for the wave shield, a speaker, and a motor (or stepper) to rotate the dome on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment