Friday, April 8, 2011

Dome construction

I'm at the point where the software is almost done, and the hardware is just about done as well.  So, in order to do fine tuning, I really need to build the body next.  My daughter was sick today, so I decided to start with the dome (because I required much less workspace for this). 
I'd been concerned until yesterday about how I was going handle this.  But yesterday I had a brainstorm... styrofoam craft balls!  I bought a 5" ball and tried wrapping it with aluminum foil.  This was giving mixed results because of the bumpiness of the ball.  So I decided to make a hemisphere out of posterboard to act as a layer between foil and ball which allowed for much smoother results.
I took another piece of foil and mixed some blue-purple paint to paint the wedges of the dome.  Now I just need to build the main body to decide whether to use the hollow shell by itself or if I can get away with leaving the foam ball in...

1 comment: